Anais Goldberg's Charred Kabocha Squash with Chipotle Dust
- Ghee or Avocado oil
- Kabocha squash
- Kosher salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Chipotle powder
- Cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Maldon salt
Recipe and photo by Anais Goldberg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Wash squash and dry thoroughly with a dish cloth.
- Place whole squash in the oven and roast for an hour, until fork tender.
- Once cooked, slice squash in half from stem to bottom and scoop out the seeds.
- Cut squash into one and a half inch thick wedges and set aside. Season lightly with kosher salt on both sides.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, spread ghee or avocado oil over the pan and allow it to warm.
- Place the wedges of squash onto the pan and allow them to char, about three minutes per side.
- Transfer to a serving dish in a single layer. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with cilantro, Maldon salt, and a light dusting of chipotle powder.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Make ahead tip: The kabocha squash can be roasted three days ahead of time and then stored in the refrigerator either whole or already cut into wedges.