Pomelo Satsuma Mandarin and Avocado Salad
- Satsuma Mandarins
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Mint, Basil for garnish
We were today years old when we discovered that the pomelo is much more than an exotic relative of the grapefruit—it's actually its ancestor.
The pomelo is an Asian citrus, and the base fruit of both the grapefruit and the Satsuma mandarin. The grapefruit is a cross between a pomelo and a sweet orange, which is a hybrid of a pomelo and a mandarin, just like Satsuma Mandarins, another ingredient in this salad. Phew, that's a mouthful.
When grown organically on healthy soil, both fruits will have an incredible aroma and texture.
- Slice off the top and bottom of the pomelo and mandarins.
- Take your time and carefully take off the pith.
- Gently peel away the connective membrane until the pulp is revealed.
- Cut the avocado in half, peel the skin gently, and slice to the desired thickness.
- Combine avocado, mandarins, and pomelo on a plate.
- Add a squeeze of lime and drizzle with olive oil and a dash of sea salt.
- Garnish with Mint, Basil, your favorite herb, or edible flowers